Partial or full funding of a Center research scientist.
This is the mode used for any project that requires any level of customization or method development.
Investigators benefit by having a dedicated professional specialist guide the project to completion, and have more flexibility regarding study design compared to fee-for-service.
This mode can also be used for large endeavors requiring established methods, but which would be cost-prohibitive in a fee-for-service model.
How much does it cost?
Costs are calculated on a per-study basis, and include:
- Actual cost for consumables and reagents
- Operations fee (contribution to instrument maintenance costs, bioinformatic licensing fees, and other operational fees)
- Percent effort of a Center researcher
Why it works
- Modern approaches are rarely one-size-fits all and often require considerable time and effort to develop and implement new methods
- During method development, not every sample "works", so "per sample" fees don't make sense
- Investigators can be invoiced or can include salary directly in a grant budget